Tuesday, November 08, 2011

I'll be your fin

from the archives (Oct 22, 2006)...




Smoked Salmon, as we all know, has a fungus problem. Lately, it's gotten pretty bad and he has lost his fin. It's very sad to see. Yesterday I was in my room and I went to check up on Rebel and Salmon and noticed Salmon floating on his side. I panicked, but realized that he was still alive. Because he's lost his fin, he can't swim like normal, he can only swim up and down. He floats on his side and then swims to the bottom of the bowl and floats back up. I didn't know what to do for him, so I wrote him a poem. It's called I'll Be Your Fin:

I'll be your fin when you're on your side,
When it feels like the world only goes left to right.
When your fishbowl is fuzzy and things are unclear,
I'll be the net that clears away your fear.
I'll swim and swim when you need me
I'll swim and swim when you need me.

You go deeper and deeper hoping things will change,
Hoping the water will rise and you can go back the way you came.
But I watch from a distance, the things you do
And wish, more than anything, that I could help you the way you need me to.
I wish I could help you the way you need me to.

Hold on the way you do, the only way you can.
Let the water pass through your gills and fill you with oxygen.
I'll swim and swim when you need me
I'll be your fin when you need me.

No comments: